Serves 4 persons
Ingredients for Masala Dosa:-
1. Ingredients to Prepare Masala Dosa Batter:-
- Measurement is 1 cup = 250ml
- Rice – 2 cup regular Rice
- Urad dal /Black Split Lentil – 1/2 cup
- Fenugreek Seed (Methi) – 1/4 teaspoon
- Flattened Rice (Poha) – 1/4 cup
- Salt – 1/4 tea spoon
- Water according to requirement during grinding it.
2. Ingredients for Masala for Filling in Masala Dosa:-
- Potatoes – 2 Boiled or 300gm
- Onion – 1 piece finely chopped
- Green Chilli – 1 piece into two
- Chana Dal /Bengal Gram split and skinned – 2 teaspoon
- Urad dal / Black Gram skinned – 1 teaspoon
- Rai (Black Mustard Seeds) – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Seed – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder – 2 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Oil – 4 table spoon
3. Ingredients for the final step of Masala Dosa:-
- Idli Dosa Batter
- Oil – 200 ml
- Masala for Filling in Dosa
How to prepare Masala Dosa:-
1. Batter Preparation for Masala Dosa:-
- Take a bowl and put Rice and Flattened Rice (Poha), soak them overnight.
- Take Dal and Fenugreek Seeds (Methi) together, wash it and soak it for overnight, do not throw its water as it will help while grinding Dal and Chawal.
- In the morning wash Rice, grind both Rice and Dal separately using Grinder, put Dal water in grinder when needed, till Batter becomes smooth.
- Now mix Rice and Dal paste together, mix thoroughly and put Salt in the Batter.
- Put a lid and keep it aside for whole day for Fermentation i.e 8-9 hours, Fermentation is best in warm weather.
Hot Tip:-Always keep batter in big bowl as batter doubles when fermented.
- Till the night your Batter is Fermented, but if not, then keep for some more time.
- When Fermented, your Batter is ready to make Idli and Masala Dosa.
- You can purchase Batter from market also but do check expiry.
2. Preparation of Masala for Filling in Masala Dosa:-
- Take potatoes and cut them in small pieces.
- Now take a Kadahi/Wok and put it on full gas.
- Now put Oil in it.
- Put Rai/ Mustard Seeds in it, when it is fried put Cumin Seed and then Onion in it and then Urad Dal and Chana Dal, simmer gas, mix it well with a spatula in small intervals.
- When onion is brownish put Coriander powder, Red Chilli powder, Turmeric powder, Green Chilli into it and then Potatoes, mix it well with Spatula, add Salt.
- Now leave it for 10 minutes, mix it in small intervals.
- When Potatoes are brown close gas.
- Your filling is ready.
3. Final Step of Masala Dosa Preparation:-
- Take a Tawa/ Griddle and grease it with Oil on medium gas.
Hot Tip:- Spear oil only on iron pan or griddle, but if using non sticking pan do not spear oil on it as batter will not spread on it.
- Then put Dosa Batter on it with a Ball Scoop (Gol Karchul).
- Now spread it on Tawa in a smooth texture.
Hot Tip:- If you are unable to spread Dosa batter on iron pan or griddle then sprinkle some water on it as it may be too hot, either your Dosa Batter may be too thick so add some water to it and then try. This will not help if using non sticking so in this you just slow gas and or if too hot close it and then spread Dosa Batter on it and open gas again. In any case first see your Dosa batter should be thin.
- Now take a Flat Spatula and pour oil from all sides.
- After 1 minutes when you feel it is brownish from the bottom, do it upside down.
- Always start from sides and then go towards middle slowly, your Dosa will not break.
- Now the side which is light in color, put the filling on it.
- Now close it from sides.
- Your Masala Dosa is ready to serve.
- Serve it with Sambar and Coconut Chutney.
Your feedback is important for us. Please rate the Article and provide your valuable comment.